Learn test-taking strategies focusing on IELTS and TOEFL! This workshop will be led by two of your Peer Leaders that have taken and excelled at these tests.
I. IELTS with Maya:
1. Monday May 17th at 3pm in D309 (~45 min)
1. Tuesday May 18th at 11:30 in D308 (~45 min)--bring your lunch2. Thursday May 27th at 11:30 in D308 (~45 min)--bring your lunch
2. Digital Storytelling Workshop
Learn a very user-friendly software that will easily help you create your own DIGITAL STORY!!
When: Monday, May 17, 3pm
Where: D318 (Computer Lab)
EVEN BETTER, you can win a tuition refund by expressing yourself through a digital story!! The School of ESL is having a Digital Storytelling Competition. The prizes are:
1st Prize: $200
2nd Prize: $100
3rd Prize: $50
Digital Story Competition!!
Digital Stories Due: end of Week 6, June 11th
Length of Video/Digital Story: 2-5 minutes
What is a Digital Story you ask?
1st you start with the art of storytelling. Then, you add the use of technology and your storytelling goes digital! There are many forms of digital storytelling that may combine any of the following elements: text, image, sound, voice and moving images, in a coherent story. The combination of these elements, each of which plays a unique role, that gives the digital story its power. Unfortunately, no amount of digital magic will turn a poor story into a good one, so the 'storywriting' or 'storyboarding' or 'narrating' process is a key element. Come to the workshop and find out more!! OR, if you missed the workshop, pop in and speak to Dorothy in D304,
Possible Topics for your Digital Story:
- Tell Your Audience A Story: Tell your story as a new immigrant or international student OR a story about someone special, your school, or your community here in Toronto or abroad
- Teach Something: Make an instructional or how-to-movie
- Environmental Concerns and Social Issues: Share lenvironmental concerns and social issues important to you, which promote awareness and perhaps even public action.
3. Summarizing and Paraphrasing Workshop
Practice essential skills of Summary and Paraphrase in a small group setting.
Your Peer Leaders are there to faciliate!
When: Tues(sched A) and Thurs(sched B), Weeks 2-7
Want to improve your speaking? Improve your confidence in conversation using games and role plays . This 6-week workshop will focus on conversation and speaking skills in a FUN and active atmosphere!
When: Every WED AFTER SCHOOL, WEEKS 2-7
Time: 3:00 to 4:30pm
5. NEW!!! Essay Writing Study Group for Level 7 & 8 Students:
Engage in Peer to Peer learning to improve your academic writing skills!
When: Tues and Thurs at 10am
Where: Meet the Peer Leaders in Room D304A
6. NEWSBLOG: WRITE YOUR STORY AND SHARE WITH GBC
For those of you who want to express yourselves and share it with your GBC Peers ANd improve your writing/communication skills in the process:
Write a story or article for the Newsblog Club:
Need some inspiration??
Interested? Email Dorothy or drop by D304 to chat about it!
Here are some ideas to get your creative juices flowing:
- Write a restaurant review
- Write a human interest story
- Share your poetry or creative writing