The Student Success Blog will update you with useful resources, services and activities in our ESL Program and throughout the college. You will also find useful links for self study and study skills tips. Visit the blog often as information is updated weekly. Submissions, links or ideas for the blog are always welcome! Have a wonderful session at the School of ESL!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Welcome to the Fall Session at the School of ESL! Meet your Peer Leaders--your partners in learning!

September is off and running and so is Student Success!


Your Peer Leaders are all graduates of our intensive ESL program at GBC, and some are even current students. Consider them your partners in learning!They are very enthusiastic about assisting and encouraging you by passing on effective learning strategies, leading workshops and study groups, helping you practice what you are learning, building your confidence and giving you feedback. They are NOT an editing service, so they cannot edit your papers but they can ask you questions and give you advice and strategies on how you can improve your work.


Their schedule is posted on D304A and they welcome you to drop by anytime for a study group or for assistance. The earlier you come to them to practice, the more improvement you'll be able to see.  They can also meet your study group in your classroom after school..think about it--study smarter, not harder!  MANY OF YOU ARE ALREADY FORMING STUDY GROUPS!!  AWESOME JOB--you are definitely 'taking the bull by the horns!!'


Alona
"Hi everyone! My major was in Organizational  Management and I became a Peer Leader to help students improve their English; I enjoy helping people and hope that my knowledge and experience of learning English might help students to learn more effectively.


I love meeting new people and think that mentoring is a great opportunity to work with a variety of students from all over the world. I plan to go to the School of Business at George Brown College to further my education.


In my spare time I love reading novels and spending time with my family. I am glad that I’ve chosen GBC and believe that it is an excellent school to learn English." Alona organizes and facilitates our very popular and useful 'summary and paraphrase' workshop on Tues and Thurs. Check it out!!

Arjola
"Hello! My name is Arjola and I am one of the ESL Peer Leaders. I graduated from level 8 at George Brown College in 2008 and I have to admit that it was quite a wonderful experience because I got to know people from different countries of the world and was inspired by the wonderful, devoted teachers. I have studied English for many years in Albania, my homeland and its fundamentals are built in me forever. I graduated from the Art and Design Foundation program at George Brown College in 2009 and now I am studying Advertising at OCAD (Ontario College of Art and Design). I really love English; I was raised studying it and I am very glad to have this position as a Peer Leader helping students improve their English skills. This position means a lot to me because I know the difficulties of a student studying English, and moreover of a newcomer in Canada trying to succeed, so I am determined to use all my knowledge and experience to help you succeed in this important step on your way to achieving your goals."


Corina
"My name is Corina Espidio and I was born in Mexico. My native language is Spanish. I started learning English during my childhood thanks to my grandfather’s vision. He often told me that speaking English would open many and diverse doors to me. He was right! I completed a Diploma as an Executive Secretary in my country and after some years I also completed my bachelor studies in Archaeology. Being a peer leader has given me the opportunity to help others, and this experience has been very rewarding for me. Every day I try to learn something new and different which helps to make my life fulfilled. I am looking forward to helping you to achieve your goals."
“Be a student so long as you still have something to learn, and this will mean all your life” ~Henry L. Doherty
Corina will be leading the Peer Liaison Program this summer and may also join you on Wed in the Speak Up workshop!




Maryana
"Hi, my name is Maryana, and I am from Ukraine. I have been an ESL student at George Brown College since last summer. Studying in GBC, I had a great opportunity to improve my English, to make lots of friends and to meet a lot of people from all over the world. Now, being a Peer Leader, I am looking forward to meeting all of you and to share all my knowledge and experience with ESL students. I along with the other Peer Leaders will be extremely happy to see and help you."


Good luck to each of you and remember, “Education is not received. It is achieved”. We are lucky to have Maryana here after school on Mon and Fri--why not form a study group to work with Maryana?


Mehdi H
"Hi everyone. My name is Mehdi.  I'm originally from Iran and I've been in Toronto almost a year. I graduated from the ESL program recently and I already miss it. Being in college in such a friendly and multicultural atmosphere was a wonderful experience. Now I have this opportunity to be around you guys again as a peer leader. I believe that we are all learning together and from each other. So don't be alone, let's do it together."


If you check out the Speak Up workshops designed to improve your speaking confidence, you will be fortunate to meet Mehdi H.

Mehdi G
"Dear ESL students,
8 months ago I started studding the intensive ESL program at George brown college and I have recently graduated from the 8th level. During this period of time, I connected with a lot of friends from different cultures and countries. I believe it was more than a program--it was a journey all around the world. I want to inform you that you are more than a college student; you are globe-trotters, and like any other tourists, by the end of this trip, you will learn a lot about the real world that we are living in. It is my great pleasure to be with you and I will be more than happy to meet you in order to share our experiences through this journey."


Mehdi is facilitating a very popular and interesting workshop for levels 7 & 8 students--a Ted Talks Activitiy--you will watch engaging speakers, learn effective presentation skills and work together to build a rich repository of vocabulary.

AND WELCOME TO OUR NEWEST PEER LEADERS!!

Michelle
Hello! I’m really excited to meet you!

I’m Michelle Jang from South Korea. I started with level 6 and currently, I’m studying in level 8.


First of all, I have been fully satisfied with the ESL program at GBC. Being a peer liaison for two sessions, I could get actively involved in most of the workshops and activities available and I found them to be very useful to me, In particular, I have learnt how to communicate with others who came from different countries or different backgrounds through those activities.  Also, I could put myself in something new such as digital storytelling through the digital storytelling workshops and competition. That’s why I didn’t get bored at learning and studying English.  As you see, I have taken much advantage of supports from teachers, peer leaders and peers. Now, I want to work with you and help you as a new peer leader. I cannot teach you because I’m not a teacher and I cannot evaluate you because I’m not perfect. However, I can help you right beside you because I am a friendly peer leader. Thank you!


Sina
Hi everyone! My name is Sina and I recently joined peer leaders after I finished my ESL courses at George Brown College. When I finished level 8 in this summer, I thought of days that I had spent with you; the sweet moments of togetherness. We come together from diverse nationalities to learn a new language, and in our journey, which I like to call it our adventure, we learn from each other.

Learning a new language can be challenging, but we together can make it. You made a wise choice when you decided to come to GBC to learn English. Here you can improve your language skills in a friendly atmosphere, and you will never feel lonely.
I wanted to become a peer leader because I love helping others. Through your big adventure at GBC, I would be more than happy to help you. Just come to D304A anytime you like!


Christine
Hello, my name is Christine and I came to Toronto from China in January of this year. I just graduated from the ESL program in August 2010. The ESL program at George Brown College not only allowed me to improve my English, it also gave me the opportunity to meet people from different countries and learn about different cultures. As an ESL student myself, I am familiar with the difficulties associated with learning a new language and I can help you to meet those needs. Being a peer leader is a great chance to share my knowledge and experience with anyone who may be struggling in English. I am still learning English myself, and I am happy to learn with you and help you in any way I can.  

Sunny
Dear ESL students,
My name is Sunny from Korea. I’ve recently finished level 8 and I am going to continue in level 9 at GBC. I have participated in workshops and received a lot of assistance from the workshops and Peer Leaders. I am thankful to them. Now, I have a great opportunity to be a Peer Leader. I would like to help you guys improve your English abilities as best as I can. Also, I believe that we all can learn from one another and motivate ourselves to improve our English by taking part in various workshops. Don’t hesitate to knock on the door and drop by to see your Peer Leaders. I am looking forward to seeing you and working with you.
Knock and the door will open!

Natasha
Hi, my name is Natasha. I’m from Uzbekistan –a nice and warm country (45° C during whole summer :) What I like most in Canada (particularly in Toronto) is diversity of cultures, languages, nationalities and arts. I like to learn languages, meet new people and make new friends. I would say I’m fully open to being surprised by everything new here in this country. I believe if we think and work together at improving methods and techniques, we will learn much more. I’m glad to have this amazing opportunity to learn with you and from you. Learning from each other is great idea of peer leadership! Lets dive together into the amazing world of learning English! I look forward to meeting you in room 304A every Tuesday and Thursday. Sincerely yours, Natasha.

ALSO...WAY TO GO, MAYA!!
Great news from one of our excellent Peer Leaders:  Maya Bogatskaya, a student in the post-graduate Small Business Entrepreneurship program at GBC, recently won a bursury for $2000!!   Congratulations, Maya--you deserve it!!!  Thank you for all the amazing work you have done for students at the School of ESL at George Brown College.  We miss you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment