1. SCHEDULE A STUDENTS: Take advantage of our 'Stress Management' Series of Workshops with an experienced Psychologist and Counsellor. Mehrangiz will facilitate these engaging and useful workshops --there are 2 more consecutive workshops left--don't miss out!!
- Thurs, July 22nd
- Thurs, July 29th
2. Summarizing and Paraphrasing Workshop with Alona (Levels 4-9)
Practice essential skills of Summary and Paraphrase in a small group setting.
When: Every WED AFTER SCHOOL,
Where: Meet at Peer Leader office, room D304A
Presentation Tips from Professors at the School of ESL!
This week's Presentation Tip is courtesy of Andrea Rankin:
Engage and interact with your audience
- Ask Questions: "How many people want to improve their...[speaking skills]....[paraphrasing skills]...?"
- Ask for Confirmation: "Don't you agree that........[stress management is a key factor in success?...Yes? Well, then you should check out...]
-Establish and Maintain Eye Contact--remember the 3 sec rule mentioned 2 weeks ago?? Use sincere eye contact to make your audience feel involved!
When Presenting, above all remember the 3 V's: VISUAL, VERBAL AND VOCAL! And...be confident! :-)
Harvard Business School’s site on how to build an elevator speech, also known as an elevator pitch.
- A WHAT??? An elevator pitch is a super-short explanation of an idea, a business, or a person designed to create further interest. It's a great networking tool, and if you learn some effective 'catch phrases' and practice them, you can sound like a NATURAL! Think of it like a mini job interview...
- This site created by Harvard takes you step by step through the who, what why and goal aspects of an effective elevator speech with tips along the way. Once you have completed the five steps, you can e-mail yourself the final product and practice what you say in 30 seconds to one minute...have fun!